Today, we have the great honor of sharing a family salmon recipe from Sharon Schlussel, wife of Pacific Spice President, Gershon Schlussel, and the First Lady of Pacific Spice.
As a California-based spice company, we hold a special place in our hearts for freshly caught, Pacific Ocean salmon. Salmon is full of healthy fats, is highly versatile, and pairs beautifully with seasonal vegetables, making it a must-have entree on any menu.
Sharon’s Salmon Recipe is flawless in its simplicity. It’s seasoned, spritzed, and marinated to add depth and complexity to the salmon’s natural flavors, making it simultaneously light, filling, fragrant, and savory.
This dish can be paired with noodles, rice, veggies, or potatoes, and can also be enjoyed all by itself, hot or cold.
About PSC Whole Bay Leaves: A pungent, slightly minty herb with notes of pine and black pepper. Bay leaves compliment the citrus notes in seafood, and brighten heavier dishes such as stews and risotto.
About PSC Pickling Spice: An intricate spice blend that achieves the bright, complex flavor of pickle brine. Our pickling spice is also a delicious addition to soups and meat dishes.
- Place water, onions, salt, and sugar into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Slice salmon fillet 2 inches wide. Place salmon slices into the pot and cook for 25 minutes at a gentle simmer.
- Carefully remove fish from the pot and place into a pan or container. Save the liquid in the pot.
- Add vinegar, lemon juice, bay leaves, and pickling spice to liquid. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Pour liquid through a strainer over the fish.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 2 days.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4-6 servings
Make it a meal! Serve with rice and veggies.
Serve hot or cold! For hot, drizzle lemon butter. For cold, add a creamy dill.