✔️ Dairy Free
Fried Chicken is only as good as its spice, and there’s no spice more thrilling and addictive than Mala seasoning. The spiciness of Mala seasoning blended into the crunchy coating of fresh-out-of-the-frying-pan fried chicken delivers an electrifying combination of flavor and aroma. A popular dish in Sichuan restaurants, Mala Fried Chicken is not for the faint of heart. That said, it’s a widely appreciated dish that has made its way across the world: spicy, smoky, nutty, and crunchy in all the best ways.
This dish is a memorable and addictive menu item for your brave, spice-loving customers.
About PSC Mala Seasoning: A spice blend that is commonly made of Sichuan peppercorn and chili peppers. The word Mala comes from the Chinese words “spicy” and “to numb”, lending the seasoning its nickname “Chinese Numbing Spice”.
- 8 pieces bone-in chicken
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp PSC Mala Seasoning
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp PSC Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp PSC Ginger Ground
- 1 tbsp PSC Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp PSC Mustard Flour A
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (oat, almond, etc)
- 1 3/4 tsp PSC Cream of Tartar
- 2 egg whites, large
- 2 qts peanut or vegetable oil
- Use a paper towel to pat chicken pieces dry. Sprinkle with salt and 2 tbsp of mala seasoning. Place in the refrigerator for 30 mins to up to 24 hrs. This process removes moisture from the skin which creates juicier and crisper chicken.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and mustard in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour non-dairy milk into another bowl. Mix in cream of tartar one tbsp at a time, making sure to smooth any clumps. Add egg whites and remaining 1 tbsp of mala seasoning.
- Prepare two wire baking racks and set aside.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator. Working with one piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, then dip into non-dairy milk mixture, and finish with a second coat of the flour mixture.
- Shake off excess flour and place on a wire baking rack. Repeat the process with each piece of chicken. Set aside.
- Place a large frying pan on medium heat and add oil. Bring oil to 380°F (use a frying oil thermometer to monitor).
- Carefully place 3 pieces of chicken in the frying pan. Be careful not to splash the hot oil. Use tongs to rotate the pieces every 3 to 4 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed to maintain 350°F.
- Fry until chicken is golden-brown with an internal temperature of 165°F (check by inserting a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken without touching bone), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the fried chicken to the second wire baking rack. Let it cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 75 minutes
Makes: 8 pieces
- Make it a meal! Serve with grilled vegetables and mashed potatoes.