Empanadas are hand-held pastry pockets traditionally filled with a single filling or any combination of meat, cheese, and veggies. Empanadas are formed into different shapes and designs to reflect their filling, making it easier to discern between types; from traditional beef and cheese to chicken and potato. Throughout history, empanadas have been made with whatever meat was available; however, the traditional Spanish preparation features generously seasoned ground beef.
This is a classic Spanish empanada recipe made with a very flavorful ground beef filling. It features an expertly blended mixture of traditional spices that are full of flavor and true to tradition. Enlisting ready-to-use empanada dough, this recipe is perfect for the empanada newbie and saves so much time without sacrificing authenticity.
About PSC Chorizo Seasoning – With a smoky heat and aromatic depth of flavor, our PSC Chorizo Seasoning adds warmth and spice to any meat or veggie dish. Try it on your meat of choice or in scrambled eggs, marinated tofu, and soups!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp PSC Chorizo Seasoning
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne, for heat
- ¼ cup chopped green olives, pitted
- ½ cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 package of frozen empanada dough, 10 count – OR – homemade empanada dough
- 1 egg, beaten
* Dough: Many grocery stores carry pre-made empanada dough. Look for it in the international food section in the freezer aisle. Some Asian or Hispanic food markets will also carry a variety of ready-made empanada discs.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F place parchment paper on a baking sheet and side aside.
- In a large skillet, add ground beef. Break it up with a spatula and cook until browned. Drain the liquid (fat) from the skillet into an empty jar or can.
- Add olive oil, onion, and potatoes to the skillet and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, PSC Chorizo Seasoning, garlic, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, olives, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beef broth, simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
- Following directions on the empanada dough package, prepare dough.
- Spoon 2 tbsp of meat mixture into the middle of the empanada disc, fold in half and pinch edges with fingers or fork to create a closed pocket.
- Lightly brush each empanada with egg wash for browning
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick spray and bake empanadas about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- Try a different meat! Try this recipe with chicken or steak, , and experiment with seasonings.
- Make it vegetarian! Replace beef with tofu or potatoes for a meat-free empanada.
Save some for later! Double the recipe and freeze half of your cooked empanadas. Keep them from sticking together by placing parchment paper between layers or freezing on a baking sheet before transferring to a Tupperware. Reheat at 350°F for 20-25 minutes.